Housing Procedures

Welcome Meeting

At the beginning of each semester, there will be a mandatory welcome meeting of University housing stu­dents at which time residence hall and University policies will be explained. Attendance is required and roll will be taken. Check your individual hall for advertising that de­tails specific location and time.


If you find yourself without a roommate after the semester starts, you will be given 48 hours to pull someone from on-campus housing into your vacancy. If you choose not to pull someone in to your space after the 48 hours, HRL can place a resident in the space as needed.

The Campus Housing License states that “the Uni­versity reserves the right to make changes in assignments when considered necessary by the Department.”

Room Changes

Room and roommate assignments are made for the academic year. Room changes are made only when deemed necessary by the Hall Director. If you have a problem with your current assignment, we encourage you to first discuss this with your AHD, RA, CRA, or HD. 

Room Reservation Process

Remember, all TCU students must live on campus for their first two (2) years.

In October, on-campus residents are notified about how to change their room assignment, if desired, for the spring semester. Off-campus students should contact Hous­ing & Residence Life regarding availability of spring hous­ing.

During the spring semester, on-campus residents who desire to live on campus for the following academic year are given the opportunity to self-assign to a room. 

Current residents who do not make reservations during the published signup period lose their priority and may sign up on a Wait List which will be used only after all new students have been assigned rooms. There is no guarantee of a space for Wait List students.

Housing is for the entire academic year. Remem­ber that you are entering into a binding agreement and you will be held to the terms of the Campus Housing License. To view the license, please refer to the HRL website at http://www.housing.tcu.edu/. Housing information will be communicated via your TCU e-mail account and http://my.tcu.edu.

Administrative Inspection

  1. Every effort will be made to protect the rights of students; however, University officials reserve the right to enter and inspect University housing rooms, when neces­sary, to protect and maintain the property of the University, preserve the health and safety of its students, or to ensure students understand and are following University policies. These procedures are as followed:
  2. When a violation of University policy or criminal or civil law is suspected, a student’s room may be entered and inspected after a student has signed an Administra­tive Inspection Consent or after approval is granted by the Dean, Associate Dean, Assistant Dean of Campus Life or the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. The student, if available, will be advised of the suspicion and allowed to be present at the time of the entry and inspection. Every effort will be made to have an ad­ditional witness to the entry and inspection is required. This witness will be a professional staff person.
  3. In emergency situations where danger to life, health, safety or property is reasonably feared, or if there is substantial evidence that violation of University regulations is in progress and that delay in securing an Administrative Inspection Consent will lead to destruc­tion or withholding of evidence, a room may be entered without permission of designated Student Affairs staff. In such cases, a witness must accompany the Univer­sity representative conducting the inspection.
  4. Articles found in University housing rooms, which are in violation of University policies, or civil or criminal law will be confiscated and removed from the room. A receipt acknowledging the administrative inspection and any confiscated items will be presented to the stu­dent. This includes safes that students refuse to open at the time of inspection.

Signs and Banners

Inside University housing, TCU residents may not place signs, posters, and banners (including flags) in University housing windows and on the outside of room doors. Banners can be placed inside University housing rooms. The following requirements must be met to post signs, posters, and banners.

Signs and banners may not be offensive or demean­ing to individuals who reside in the room, suite, or apart­ment. Signs and banners may not contain vulgar language or symbols; and may not contain obscenities.

Specific regulations are:

  1. No signs or banners may be placed that block or hinder emergency access to or exit from a University housing facility or pose a safety hazard (e.g., electricity attached).
  2. Signs may cover no more than 50% of a University housing wall; banners may not cover any part of a hallway.
  3. Signs must be completely removed by the resident upon vacating the room.

Outside University housing, specific regulations are:

  1. Banners must be made with permanent paint and securely fastened to the building or be removed in inclement weather.
  2. Banners that indicate occupants of a building support or oppose any particular or specific act (i.e., XYZ Hall supports….) must be approved by the governing body of that hall in accordance with the above guidelines.
  3. Signs, posters, and banners in hall windows are not permitted to identify the resident(s) of the room including first and/or last name, phone number, room number, or other identifying informa­tion.

Appropriate members of the Division of Student Affairs may grant exceptions to the policy for special University events.

Singles/Private Rooms

All first semester freshmen will be assigned room­mates. When space permits, double rooms may be used as private accommodations. The rental charge for private accommodations is approximately one and one-half times the stated rate for double occupancy of a particular resi­dence hall room. Single room priority, for both built single rooms and double rooms used for private accommodations, will be determined by the Associate Director of Housing and Residence Life for Administration. Singles are more likely available for spring semesters. A student’s signature on a consolidation form indicating a preference for a single room (and agreement to pay the greater cost) constitutes a written agreement between the student and Housing & Residence Life.